Internal Security Academy Internal Security Academy

 BRIEF HISTORY

 

       HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE OF PLACE

Mt. Abu is situated at a height of 1220 meters and is known as ‘The Hill of Wisdom’ or ‘Saints Pinnacle’. Important Rajput and Jain pilgrimage centres are located here. Dilwara Jain Temple constructed between 11th and 13th century is a marvel in white marble at par with Seven Wonders of the World. The picturesque Nakki Lake is believed to have been dug out by the Gods with their nails. Besides these there are a number of  temples, sightseeing places, gardens and picnic spots. Great warrior Maharana Pratap of Mewar, who never succumbed to the Mughal’s might and kept kindled the flame of Supreme bravery, in the aftermath of the battle of Haldi Ghati (18-06-1576 AD) also spent some time in the inaccessible reaches of Mt Abu at Shergaon, a place about 15 kms away from the Academy in the hilly ridges of Aravallis. 

 

HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE OF INSTITUTIONAL BUILDING

 

HISTORY OF THE MONUMENT-ISA

 

        Constructed in 1849 Abu Lawrence School was founded by Major General Sir H.M. Lawrence, K C B (Agent to the Governor General in Rajputana from 1855 to 1857). He died on 4th July 1857. According to his last Will, the Abu Lawrence Asylum and Abu Lawrence School were dedicated to East India Company where he served for over 35 years. The school building including out offices was built at a cost of Rs.10,000/-.

 

            "Never give in” was the motto of the school which was eventually closed down on 30th December 1950. Primarily the school was to provide refuge and practical education to orphans and soldiers children in a good climate.

 

            The Abu Lawrence School was a co-educational institution providing accommodation to 48 boy and 32 girls and was partly maintained by imperial funds and partly from private subscriptions fees and interests on endowments. The managing committee comprised of the Government General’s Agent (The Resident) of West Rajputana State, the Superintending Engineer, the Chaplain of Abu, the Commandant of Sanatorium, Officer Commanding of the Station Hospital and Magistrate of Abu. Inspector of European School of Bombay and Central India used to visit the school periodically. The staff comprised of a Head Master, a school Mistress and three Assistant Masters. Children between the age of five and twelve were admitted and withdrawn at age of sixteen.

 

            Children of pure European parentage used to get precedence over those of mixed parentage for admission in the school. Donors could nominate children for admission.  Proportion of their donation’s fee structure was in accordance with the ranks in Army. No fees were charged from pensioned soldiers. The child’s baptism certificate was essential for admission to the school for withdrawal. 14 days advance  notice was essential.

 

            After first World War (1914 – 1918) East India Company took care of education of the wards of old boys of Abu Lawrence school who died during the war. On 15th September, 1948 a training college for Indian Police Service Officers was set up at Mount Abu.  Initially, the college was housed in Army barracks. The premises of the school building were acquired for housing its offices, class rooms, library and Rajputana Hotel Estate for its officers Mess. After the shifting of Central Police Training College in its rechristened version as SVP National Police Academy to Hyderabad, the Central Reserve Police Force took over the complex to establish the Internal Security Academy on 1st February 1975.

 

 

RETREAT

 

 Constructed in 1874 from the imperial funds for agent to the Governor General of india. It used to be summer residence of A.G.G .Kathiawar built at cost of Rs 33,291.The floors of this building was covered with world famous minton  tiles. The tennis court was constructed in 1930.It was named The Retreat as it was used by A.G.G Kathiawar to relax and recuperate away from heat of Kathiawar. After independence the building was taken oven by Govt. of India and was later used by staff of CPTC. After the establishment of ISA the building was used by ISA as officers mess and in the year 2000 the building and property was transferred out to CRPF by CPWD

 

RHE

 

The plot of land was purchased by Merwanji family in 1905 and construction of present day building finished in 1930.It was the hotel to be established in Mount Abu. Its occupants  were mostly from the royal families of erstwhile principalities of Rajasthan and Europeans. After independence in 1950 the property was taken over by CPTC(Present day NPA).It was used as hostel for IPS Officers .In 1975 the property was taken on lease by CRPF for using it as a hostel for trainee officers and in the year 2013 the property was purchased by CRPF  for Rs 18.49 crores from J Merwanji

 

MEWAR BHIL

 

 

The corps was special force in 1837 to control lawlessness and disorder in Mewar caused by the bhils, an indigenous tribal race. This  was raised by Col James Outram, the political agent of Mahikanya and constituted of bhil tribesman under the command of a British Officer. It was funded and administered by the British army. It remained a part of British army until 1938 but was transferred to Rajasthan Police in 1950. A contingent of MBC was posted at Mount Abu. For them a buildings like huts and barracks were constructed in 1884 on 1.892 acres at a cost of Rs 7657.The native officers and men lived in these buildings. The building was handed over to CPTC in 1948 and then in Feb 1975 to CRPF for housing its men. After the name of MBC the building is called Mewar Bhil today by everyone

 

 

WILDERNESS

The wilderness Bungalow was constructed by Britishers during 1874 at an initial cost of Rs 18839/-and with subsequent additions in 1929.the total cost was Rs 19,909/-.it was originally constructed for administrative requirements but was used as magistrate bungalow.

Overlooking the world famous Nakki lake this majestic building built with bricks and stone in mud and lime comprises 5,371sq feet plinth area and is spread in 1.99 areas, it is surrounded by the Governor’s bungalow in the north, Jaipur palace in the south, heritage market in the east and  nakki in the west.

Subsequently "wilderness” housed Sr. Officials of Abu Lawrence school and senior officers of central police training collage on its establishment in 1950 and later of National Police Academy  (training of  IPS Officers)

On shifting of CPTC/National Police Academy to Hyderabad  and establishment of national internal security academy during 1975,this bungalow had been housing senior officers of I.S.A, Central Reserve Police Force (Govt. of India).Now the bungalow is the official residence of the IGP/Director, Internal Security Academy as  "Flag House”

 

THE BOULDER

The " Boulder Bungalow”  was constructed in the year 1875 at the cost of Rs 13,644/- .The bungalow is located in the area of 2.45 acres with the built up area of 538 sq mtrs. The bungalow has been built on top of the rock without much disturbing the natural lay of ground. The bungalow was named as assistant quarter and was leased to private tenants from time to time. After shifting of Academy to Mount Abu in 1975,the bungalow has been used as official accommodation of the senior officers. Initially the  bungalow was used  as official accommodation of Director of academy. After shifting of Director to "The Wilderness bungalow” in 1980,the bungalow has been used  as official residence for commandant/DIG.


THE HILL SIDE

The " Hillside” was  constructed in the year 1874 at the cost of Rs 13,644/- .The bungalow is located in the area of 2.53 acres with the built up area of 741 sq mtrs. The bungalow has been built on the adjacent of Boulder Bungalow and hillside of the mount abu from where nostalgic beauty of abu can be seen. Earlier it was accommodated by senior officers. But in the year 2000 ,it was taken  over by CRPF and then continuously accommodated by DIG and Commandant of Internal Security Academy

 

GLANCE OF HISTORY OF ANY  NEARBY PLACE


1-Udaipur-

Udaipur is also known as the "City of Lakes". It is the historic capital of the kingdom of  Mewar in the former Rajputana Agency. It was founded in 1559 by Maharana Udai Singh II of the Sisodia clan of Rajput, when he shifted his capital from the city of Chittorgarh to Udaipur after Chittorgarh was besieged by Akbar. It remained as the capital city till 1818 when it became a British princely state, and thereafter the Mewar province became a part of Rajasthan when India gained independence in 1947. There are many tourist attractions like City Palace, Udaipur, Taj Lake Palace, Jag Mandir  ,Kesariyaji Tirth , Lake Pichola, Fateh Sagar Lake, Saheliyon-ki-Bari etc


2-Chittorgarh –

The Chittor Fort or Chittorgarh is one of the largest forts in India. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The fort was the capital of Mewar and is located in the present-day town of Chittorgarh. It sprawls over a hill 180 m (590.6 ft) in height spread over an area of 280 ha (691.9 acres) above the plains of the valley drained by the Berach River. The fort precinct has several historical palaces, gates, temples and two prominent commemorative towers

 

 

 

Go to Navigation